Saturday, November 17, 2012

November Bulletin Board

All of my bulletin boards up to this point had been about fairly serious topics. Although these were important topics that I felt my residents needed to know about, I thought it was time for something a little bit lighter and humorous.

November has become known as "No Shave November". This is the time of year when mostly males, let it (facial hair) all grow out. Recently, some women have decided to partake in the November festivities and decide to not shave for the month.

"No Shave November" was the theme of my bulletin board for this month. I was curious as to how this tradition got started, so I researched it more. Apparently, the event originally started as a prostate cancer awareness event. The event is called "Movember" and focuses on raising money and awareness. The website contains more information about the organization and event: http://www.movember.com/.

I think my bulletin board this month came out to be fun and informative. These are two things that I think are important characteristics in a bulletin board that will catch a resident's eye. Here is a picture of the board so that you can see how it turned out:



On the bulletin board I put the history and facts about Movember. Also, I added pictures that revolved around the theme of not shaving. There are many pictures on sites like Pinterest and Tumbler that could be useful for a bulletin board like this. Finally, I left a space for my residents to leave comments about what they think about No Shave November. One resident already wrote: "It's a hairy situation".

This will be my last board of the semester where I will have creative control. My next board will contain facts about moving out of the residence halls for Christmas Break. Therefore, I won't have a new board to show until January. Until then, I'll be brainstorming! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment